Personal Theatrical Musings on Performances

Thursday, August 21, 2008

"The Lion in Winter" at Writer's Theatre on July 18th in Glencoe, IL


Writer's Theatre's directors always pay such careful attention to scripts that they inevitably wring more meaning out of them than just about any other theater company in town would. Plays that I've never liked, I've loved when seeing their version. Frankly, the directors just seem smarter to me. It also helps that they attract the best actors in Chicago.

Seeing "The Lion in Winter" was a surprising thing here. I've seen the play before a couple time and seen the movie many times. Not unsurprisingly, Rick Snyder decided to downplay the camp humor and emphasize the pathos. As usual, the direction was careful and the acting first rate. However, I ended up feeling rather unmoved. Without the camp humor, the rest of the play didn't quite hold up. So, while I can't say I was enthusiastic about this production, it was more than solid and I realized that this play is primarily a comedy and can't stand up without it.

No comments: